Articles, conference papers and reports will be listed here as the project progresses.
- Kässi, O., and Lehdonvirta, V. (2018). Online Labour Index: Measuring the Online Gig Economy for Policy and Research. Technological Forecasting and Social Change (forthcoming)
- Lehdonvirta, V. (2018). Flexibility in the Gig Economy: Managing Time on Three Online Piecework Platforms. New Technology, Work & Employment (forthcoming).
- Corporaal, G.F., & Lehdonvirta, V. (2017). Platform Sourcing: How Fortune 500 Firms are Adopting Online Freelancing Platforms. Oxford Internet Institute: Oxford.
- Kässi, O. and Lehdonvirta, V. (2016) Building the Online Labour Index: A Tool for Policy and Research. Paper presented at the CSCW 2016 workshop on The Future of Platforms as Sites of Work, Collaboration and Trust, San Francisco, California, 27 February.
The following list provides some background reading from previous projects.
- Corporaal, G.F., Ferguson, J., De Gilder, D., and Groenewegen, P. (2014). 10,000 Miles Across the Room? Emergent Coordination in Multiparty Collaboration. Proceedings of the 5th ACM International Conference on Collaboration Across Boundaries: Culture, Distance & Technology (CABS 2014), Kyoto, JP, August 20-22.
- Hosio, S., Goncalves, J., Lehdonvirta, V., Ferreira, D., and Kostakos, V. (2014) Situated Crowdsourcing Using a Market Model. Proceedings The ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology (UIST 2014), Hawaii, US, October 5-8.
- Kässi, O., Lehdonvirta, V., Graham, M., Barnard, H. and Hjorth, I. (2016) ”Not a Lot of People Know Where It Is”: Liabilities of Origin in Online Contract Work. Paper presented at the Collective Intelligence 2016 conference, New York, NY, 1 June.
- Lehdonvirta, V. (2016) Algorithms That Divide and Unite: Delocalization, Identity, and Collective Action in ‘Microwork’. In: J. Flecker (ed.), Space, Place and Global Digital Work. London: Palgrave-Macmillan.
- Lehdonvirta, V., Barnard, H., Graham, M., and Hjorth, I. (2014) Online labour markets – leveling the playing field for international service markets? Paper presented at the IPP2014: Crowdsourcing for Politics and Policy conference, University of Oxford, 25-26 September.
- Lehdonvirta, V. & Ernkvist, M. (2011) Knowledge Map of the Virtual Economy. Washington DC: World Bank.
- Lehdonvirta, V., Hjorth, I., Graham, M., & Barnard, H. (2015) Online Labour Markets and the Persistence of Personal Networks: Evidence From Workers in Southeast Asia. Paper presented at American Sociological Association Annual Meeting 2015, Chicago, August 22-25.
- Lehdonvirta, V., Ratan, R. A., Kennedy, T. L., and Williams, D. (2014) Pink and Blue Pixel$: Gender and Economic Disparity in Two Massive Online Games. The Information Society, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 243-255.
- Wood A.J (2016) Flexible Scheduling, the degradation of job quality and barriers to collective voice. Human Relations (forthcoming).
- Wood A.J (2015) Networks of injustice and worker mobilisation at Walmart. Industrial Relations Journal 46(4): 259–274. DOI: 10.1111/irj.12103
- Wood A.J and Burchell B.J (2015) Zero Hours Employment: A New Temporality of Capitalism? Reviews & Critical Commentary (CritCom), 16th September.